Saturday 5 March 2011

Missing in action!

I looked at this blog a day ago, and was amazed to see that it's been nearly a month since I last posted!
No excuses really - as I explained to someone in an email this week - life just seems to have run away from me recently!
And my creatve juices have been flowing in strange directions lately too!
I had the urge to make a rag quilt for my grand daughter, the first quilt I've ever made! At first it was daunting - cutting up fabric into lots of squares, only to have to put them back together again, but I finally finished it yesterday and it's currently in the wash, being "fluffed" up a bit. Luckily my daughter and her family are coming to see us next weekend for a friend's daughter's 5th birthday party, so I'll be able to give it to her then without having to post it to them.
Squares everywhere!, some sewn into strips, others not yet tackled.

Finished but not fluffy enough yet.

The colours don't show too well, but there's a white, pink and pale tan square mixture.
I planned the squares using Excel - amazing how we use what's available - it saved me drawing lots of squares onto graph paper - and lots of rubbing out too. I was aiming for a sort of neapolitan ice cream colour mix, but any darker brown/tan seemed to really draw the eye rather than blend in. Hope they like it?

My cross stitching hit a minor brick wall - the last time I worked on my Egyptian piece I ended up frogging about 150 stitches as I'd gone wrong in my counting, and with the King Tut mask you can't just ignore it unfortunately. So I put that down and picked up the stocking, and did a few more stitches in that lately. I'll post photos of both pieces next time.

I've also got a new Smartphone - a Galaxy S, and it's taking a while to get used to it. One day I'll be brave enough to try to post from it, but not just yet! And then our home phone decided to collapse too, so I've just spent another morning playing with those - setting up phones, transferring phone numbers etc seems to have been all I've done for the last day or so.
Take care and keep stitching everyone. XX

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I really like the quilt!! I've been thinking about making one of these! I;m sure your GD will love it!!

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

Anonymous said...

That's really gorgeous - I love it!

chrisstitches said...

Nice patchwork quilt....
Sorry to hear about the frogging on the Egyptian piece.